Bramley apple brûlée
3 large cooking Apples, such as Bramley, cored
300ml single cream
1/2 tsp ground Cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground Cloves
3 egg yolks
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C/gas 3.
2. Put the apples in a small roasting pan with 1cm of water. Bake for 40 minutes until tender. Remove from the oven and allow to cool a little.
3. Pour the cream into a small saucepan. Bring almost to the boil, then remove from the heat.
4. Scoop the flesh from the apples and put in a food processor or blender. Add the spices, egg yolks and half the sugar. Blend for 2-3 minutes until smooth.
5. Add the scalded cream and blend again.
6. Pour the mixture into three ramekins. Place in a roasting pan, then pour in enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the dishes. Bake 25-30 minutes until set.
7. Sprinkle with the remaining sugar and spray with a little water. Burn the surface with a blowtorch to form a crisp caramelised topping. Alternatively, place the ramekins under a very hot grill to brown the topping.
Spicy apple and tomato chutney recipe
Pork, apple and sage burgers with caramelised onions recipe
How to make chutneys and pickles
Perfect recipes with raspberries
Simple summer salads
Perfect roast lamb
How to make blackberry wine