External and internal restoration of a structure gutted by fire in the 1950s
The brief was to restore the the south wing of this 16th century manor house, gutted by fire in 1952, as faithfully as possible. It was in such a ruinous state that if a little less of the original had been standing then the District Councils conservation department had stated that restoration would not be recommended and it should be left as ruin. Traditional materials were used right the way through the project in conjunction with contemporary systems and products when suitable. An air source heat pump was used with under floor heating throughout and an IT network / satellite communication system installed to make for a future proof house. Excavations revealed a cellar and a well which have both been incorporated into the restoration. The restored southerly wing is now used by the same conservation department as an example of a classic sympathetic restoration.