For sale: Ven House, Dorset
Ven House was built in the William and Mary style between 1698 and 1730 for James Medlycott of The Manor at Milborne Port by a local architect, Nathaniel Ireson. More than a century later, Decimus Burton redesigned the south range, the hall, the staircase and the orangery, to bring greater symmetry to the house as a whole. The beautifully proportioned main house has five splendid reception rooms, an upstairs library, two sumptuous first-floor bedroom suites, and seven bedrooms plus five bathrooms on the second floor.
The 34 acres of magnificent gardens and grounds, linked together by a serpentine stream which forms part of the River Yeo, are a notable complement to this remarkable house.