Kirkhouse is a magnificent B listed property built as a manse for the Church of Scotland. The property dates from 1897 and Charles Rennie Mackintosh worked as a junior draughtsman on the project, which accounts for the unusual scope of the property, which is remarkably opulent for a Presbyterian manse.
Accommodation is arranged over two floors and there are four principal reception rooms all of which have open fireplaces and are accessed off the hall; the drawing room is considered to be particularly magnificent. From the dining room, a door leads into the butler’s pantry which is conveniently located close to the spacious kitchen which is equipped with a four oven Aga. Ancillary accommodation on the ground floor includes a large walk-in larder, a boot/flower room, WC and cloakroom.
The first floor has a master bedroom suite and three further double bedrooms with original fireplaces and a single bedroom and a dressing room; a further double bedroom is located off the landing attached to the secondary staircase.
* For more properties like this every week, subscribe and save
Outside the land comes to just under 2.5 acres and contains a large range of outbuildings; to the south of the garden is a paddock.
Kirkhouse is situated on the edge of the popular Lanarkshire town of Biggar which has good local amenities including schools, shops and restaurants. Edinburgh is 28 miles and Glasgow 35 miles. There is a railway station at Carstairs which has trains direct to London.
The Scottish Borders are well-known for their sporting opportunities including good pheasant, partridge and grouse shooting; there is excellent salmon fishing on the River Tweed.
The guide price is £895,000. For further information please contact Savills on 0131 247 3700 or visit www.savills.co.uk.