Hardington House is the principal village house in an elevated position in the heart of its land in a pretty area of Somerset near Yeovil. The current owners have spend time refurbishing the cottage, coach house and outbuildings, as well as developing the gardens and grounds around the property.
Now new owners have the opportunity to benefit from the work already done and to restore and refurbish the main house, which was built in 1823 to replace the original Elizabethan rectory. Although it requires a good deal of work, the house has retained period features including long sash windows with shutters, hardwood floors, high ceilings and an ornate roof light above the central staircase hall.
Accommodation as it stands inside comprises: entrance hall, drawing room, study, staircase hall, cloakroom, dining room, sitting room, kitchen, eight bedrooms, three bathrooms and extensive cellars.
Outside, the cottage, which has been extended by the current owners, lies to the east of the house. Accommodation comprises the entrance hall, sitting room, kitchen/breakfast room, master bedroom suite and two further double bedrooms, plus the family bathroom.
The Coach House has a lobby area, large store room, a garage and two loose boxes, above which is accommodation which constitutes a living room, kitchen and two double bedrooms, each with their own bathroom.
Outbuildings include a workshop with stores, a study/studio and log store as well as a large heated greenhouse; in addition there are two dog kennels with runs.
The gardens and grounds are mature and have been lovingly improved over the years. With rolling lawns and magnificent specimen trees, the setting for the house is ideal. The walled garden has climbing roses and wisteria, plus vegetable beds while the Mulberry tree garden provides an excellent focal point.
A small spring-fed stream passes through the walled garden and feeds an upper and lower pond. Further lawns and woodland lie to the south, and the swimming pool lies just south of the house itself.
Hardington House is located on the edge of the village of Hardington Mandeville which has a parish church, public house and a post office. Mainline railway stations are in Yeovil (four miles) and Crewkerne (seven miles).
The guide price is £2.35m. For further information please contact Knight Frank on 020 7861 1528 or visit www.knightfrank.co.uk.
* Follow Country Life property on Twitter