House In New Farm, Australia
Property featuresEmail AgentEmail Agent
- 8 bedrooms
Property descriptionsubstantial and historically significant stone house
Familiar to older New Farm residents as St. Clair, Miss Midgley's Private School from 1905 to the early 1940's, the handsome stone residence at 135 James Street was originally known as Cairncross House, its first title-holder being Mrs. Elizabeth Cairncross.A substantial eight-roomed stone house was built c 1864 but began as early as the 1850's. It was an investment in a locality that had land agents for nearby Kingsholme Estate waxing lyrical: "New Farm has been always regarded as the most favourite suburb of Brisbane; no other suburb of the City has been more inquired after during the last 18 months for residence purposes." (BC 17/8/1864).Times haven't changed, New Farm is still the favourite suburb of Brisbane with it's abundance of amenity including and not limited too: New Farm Park, the Powerhouse, James street precinct, the Howard Smith Wharves and the Fortitude Valley Precinct. Further, world class restaurants including Beccofino, and The Continental, classy watering holes including 6's and 7's, The Queens Arm's Hotel and Gerties on Brunswick Street.Further still, The Famers Markets on a Saturday, the James street and Teneriffe Festivals, the newly built Calile Hotel with it's Art Deco/ Palm Springs flair, numerous coffee holes and in the wall including the famous New Farm Deli which will reopen mid November.The architect may well have been James Cowlishaw since he built four shops for William Cairncross in Albert Street in 1865.By 1875, the home, extended at the front and now known as St Clair House, was considered worthy of the attention of "Merchants, Members of Parliament, Private Gentlemen, Speculators and Others." It boasted a "beautifully laid-out Fruit and Flower Garden" and was described as "one of the most substantially built private residences in Brisbane." (BC 24/8/1875, 4)This home has and will stand the test of time, the material used is Brisbane Tuff which is a local volcanic material. Originally the road in front of the home, the "Tuff" was ripped up and used for it's construction. What a story!Several investors owned it before the Hunter Palmer family (Sir Arthur Hunter Palmer was a Premier of Queensland) acquired it in 1882 with whom it remained until they subdivided the land in 1924.Now in 2019, this home with so much provenance is again offered to the general public. Currently four separate apartments, all leased. The opportunity to secure this asset to either hold or to bring it back to it's formal glory is on offer.Another option could be running a business from the front apartment which Council has verbalized as a viable option for the property in the past. Plans for a renovation will be offered to buyers who request it.An opportunity once in a lifetime.
135 James Street, New Farm, Australia, Australia
Fill out the form below to contact the agent for any further information you may need