The Wildberg Castle
Property featuresEmail AgentEmail Agent
- 13 bedrooms
- 9 bathrooms
- Outdoor Activities
- Guest House
- Vaulted Ceilings
- Municipal Water
- Security System
- Guest Suite
- Beam -Ceilings
Property descriptionThe listed and excellently renovated Wildberg Castle captivates with its elevated location, in the middle of the Waldviertel!HISTORICAL DATA CASTLE WILDBERG
1135 Knight Pilgrim Wiltperch receives the castle from the Counts of Hohenburg (branch line of the Poigener)
1266 King Ottokar II grants the Wildburg to the Lords of Maissau
1432 The fief goes to the Lords of Puchheim, they develop Wildberg into a Renaissance castle
1570 Wildberg becomes a center of the Reformation with its own printing press for processing Protestant writings
1620 Wildberg is confiscated as a "rebel estate”
1767 Acquisition by the Altenburg monastery
Historical records show that Wildberg was first mentioned in documents as early as the 12th century. After being owned by counts and sovereign owners, the castle was passed to the Benedictine monastery of Altenburg in 1767 and was sold into private ownership in 1952. In 1992, the castle was acquired by the current owners and carefully renovated within 20 years in 3 construction phases, with the involvement of the Office for the Protection of Historical Monuments. The roof areas were completely renovated, the technology and electricity were renewed, an elevator was installed as well and all residential units and bathrooms were newly built.
The strongly structured renaissance building, with preserved medieval components, is situated on a plot of approx. 17.998m² and offers a living area of approx. 2500m². In total there are 31 rooms, 8 of which are residential units that include a bedroom, a living room and a private bathroom. Particularly noteworthy are the large banquet hall with a baroque fireplace and frescoes and the small banquet hall with a mirrored vault from 1580. Also to be highlighted are the late Gothic smokehouse, the knight's hall with an old beamed ceiling and the gatekeeper's house with the original dungeon cells.
There is a water spring on the grounds, which, however, is not active at the moment.
Wildberg Castle is often referred to as the "heraldic castle", since the Counts of Hohenburg-Wildberg adopted the coat of arms of its last counts, which is a red-white-red banded shield. Supposedly, according to writing in some art guides, the red-white-red banded shield was used by the Babenbergs and later adopted by the Habsburgs. It is assumed that this is the origin of today's Austrian national coat of arms.
All information published here is based on the information provided to us by the owner.
Messern, Vienna, Austria
Fill out the form below to contact the agent for any further information you may need