- 6 bedrooms
- 16 habitable rooms
- 545 square meters of living space
The village, with its few shops and some 700 inhabitants, is to be found in the Centre-Val-de-Loire region, on the edge of Orleans Forest, which comprises several forest tracts spanning a surface area of about 2,000 hectares. The area has Natura 2000 classification. The stream which flows through the village comes from the heart of the forest where well-known mineral water springs also rise. The Loire chateaux, the Arboretum-des-Grandes-Bruyères as well as eight golf courses renowned for their exceptional setting are all within easy reach. For several years, the region has developed its natural and architectural heritage and has been committed to its tourist trade. 30 km from Loire-Valley aerodrome, 45 km from Orleans, 16 km from Pithiviers and 113 km from Paris via the A6 and A77 motorways or the N20.
Identified in 936 at the same time as the parish church, the feudal motte surrounded by water was transformed into a royal fortress in 1112. As of 1190, it was lived in by illustrious families close to those in power. In 1417, during the One Hundred Years’ War, the castle was fortified but this did not prevent its partial destruction. However, in the 16th and 17th centuries, a powerful barony transformed it into a residence such as it appears today. King of the Valois, Henri III stayed in the chateau during memorable hunts held in Orleans Forest. All the lords, whether Huguenots or Catholics, were greatly attached to this fiefdom and unpretentious renovations were carried out in accordance with the architectural codes of the time. The French National Archives have an outstanding plan of all the parks and gardens dated 1753 which covered some 30 hectares. One of the main creators was apparently Claude-Desgot.
Large wooden gates in the village square open on to a no-through road that leads, on one side, to the chateau as well as the outbuildings and, on the other side, to a grassy, wooded area, spanning approx. 3,000 m² laid out in front of the entrance to the chateau. This is followed by a private building, “the perfectly restored chateau outbuildings”.
The chateau covers a little more than a hectare, surrounded by parklands. Like a landscaped garden, the various levels enhance the miscellaneous species, the secret nooks and crannies as well as the esplanade laid to lawn, and the stream flows right through the middle of it all. Perimeter walls enclose the grounds. The main entrance features an old drawbridge. On the south side, the stream flows through areas delimited by a tall wooded hedge. A little bridge spanning the river leads to a drive and a wicket gate that provides direct access to the village parish church.
This rectangular building is flanked by two protruding pavilions on the north side and two towers on the south side, vestiges of the old fortified castle. Comprising three levels, built on the old buttresses and vaulted cellars, it spans a floor surface area of approx. 800 m² excluding the cellars and approx. 545 m² excluding the cellars and the attic space. The facades are lime-rendered and all the openings have brick surrounds. The semi-circular arched, wide, wooden entrance door and the glazed doors are reached via steps, whilst on the south side, the facade features a wide porch with twin stairways. The hip, pavilion and candlesnuffer roofs are covered with slate and feature roof dormers, topped with triangular or curved pediments.
Both roofs and facades have French Historic Monument Listing.
The outbuildings were constructed in the 16th and 17th centuries. They include a traditional house awaiting restoration and spanning a floor surface area of approx. 140 m² over two levels. The walls are rendered and the openings framed with dressed stone surrounds. The gable roof is covered with old tiles and features pavilion roof dormers. Set at right angles is a barn, spanning a floor surface area of approx. 145 m². The facade features wide openings, one of which protrudes slightly. The gable roof is covered with local tiles. The courtyard in the centre of the buildings is laid to grass.
Time has in no way changed the original character of the building, redesigned over the centuries in an unpretentious and orderly manner. The two main objectives of the owners were to restore the layout as well as the interior decor and to put the building back in a setting more in keeping with the history of the village and its surroundings. This chateau is one of the best restored chateaux in the area around the river Loire. A co-working area, a starred restaurant, a bed & breakfast activity, a family home or a museum: obviously any project should be of a high standard.
Fill out the form below to contact the agent for any further information you may need