- 6 bedrooms
- 2 bathrooms
- 10 habitable rooms
- 252 square meters of living space
- 63 square meters of surface of the outbuildings
This land is fertile and yet its history has made it a land of suffering. But although it is effectively near to the sites of large battles during the First World War, it is also a land that has regained appeal courtesy of its beautiful landscapes. The surroundings are crisscrossed with hiking trails that are an invitation to explore the natural treasures and especially the large local forests. It is also possible to take up horse riding at a club in the village or play golf on a course, 15 minutes away by car.
The location is ideal, near to a large town and just 4 km away from a large market town with all shops, whilst the French capital is some 90 km away via the motorway.
The first traces of the village date back to the 12th century as is proved by the period church, spared both from 19th century restoration works, often overly aggressive, and from the 1914-1918 war. The village nestles alongside a river and this property is laid out on the heights, at the end of a road, leading to a wood. The village is very quiet.
Tall, white-painted wooden gates are topped with a crown of ivy and open on to a garden. A caretaker’s cottage, on one side, is completely covered in ivy. A large garden is enclosed by hedges. And lastly, at the end of a gravel courtyard, facing a large lawn, appears a country house laid out lengthwise. Its construction dates from the 19th century. This residence has been used for several purposes such as a house and, during the First World War, as a café.
For the last thirty years, this property has been a holiday home for the members of a Parisian family who have devoted themselves to restoring and enhancing it.
The country house
This brick and stone, L-shaped country house is topped with a slate roof in accordance with local tradition. A small corner pavilion, with a hip dovecote roof ends the garden facade. The residence spans two levels with an interesting roof which is supported on one side by a gable whilst, at the other end, the roof on the main building is modified with a third slope. The main facade, very different from the more rustic one on the other side, is enhanced with mullioned windows. It above all features a turret, with small tiles, which is almost centred. This turret marks the entrance to the house.
The overall aesthetics exude real harmony not only because of the size of the garden but also because of the facades, with their combination of brick and stone. Incredibly, the atmosphere appeals even more than the beauty of the place.
The residence is so steeped in verdant surroundings that it is difficult to imagine that this property is in a town and so near to the French capital.
Fill out the form below to contact the agent for any further information you may need