- 10 bedrooms
- 15 habitable rooms
- 778 square meters of living space
- 483 square meters of surface of the outbuildings
Apart from its outbuildings, no other building can be seen from the chateau, reached via a country lane. The main, south-facing facade looks out over gently rolling meadows and woods.
The department of Vendée is one of the biggest, most dynamic in France. To the west, long beaches, covered in white sand, extend alongside the Atlantic Ocean. Here, to the east, bordering the department of Deux-Sèvres, the gentle granite relief of the Armorican Massif is not finished, the bocage countryside featuring irregular-shaped fields separated by hedges and ditches has been preserved, several small towns meeting daily requirements include Pouzauges, Cerizay and, a little further away, Les-Herbiers where the unemployment rate is one of the lowest in the country.
Nantes international airport is barely an hour away and the ocean with a wide choice of beaches is 1½ hours away.
Enthusiasts come from the world over to watch the historical shows, steeped in folklore, put on at the Puy-du-Fou theme park.
This chateau is surrounded by parklands spanning some 2 ha as well as an additional 3½ ha of meadows rented on an annual renewable lease. It is laid out in an L-shape, each section having its own slate roof. It spans a maximum of three levels, roof dormers illuminating the top floor.
The main, south-facing facade forms the long section of the “L”.
To the 15 rooms in the main building can be added a 3-bedroomed flat, laid out in one of the two outbuildings, the aesthetics of which are equal to those of the main residence.
The current owners have completed the works that have to be carried out first during major renovation works such as those involving the insulation, heating (31 radiators), plumbing, electric wiring and double glazing.
The water for the especially large swimming pool, 20x8 m, comes from a well. A short distance away, an old tennis court is in need of attention. This property also includes two small lakes as well as a separate 4.5 ha chestnut wood, to be found on the other side of the valley.
This chateau was constructed between 1875 and 1882 by a high-ranking soldier who became mayor of the town. There have only been a few owners since then. Its main, south-facing facade aligns a central building, featuring five bays over two levels, topped with three roof dormers, with a slightly protruding pavilion on the left-hand side, which takes the form of a tower of the same height, and with a lower section on the right-hand side, which was formerly used by domestic staff as well as an impressive, adjoining, old veranda. On the north side, almost all the windows in a short wing, set at right angles to the main building behind the pavilion, face west and east. Each of the five sections has its own slate roof.
Standing at right angles to one another, both outbuildings feature arched openings. Whilst the longest, once the stables, awaits renovation, the other houses a flat composed of a lounge, three bedrooms, a kitchen, a bathroom and a toilet.
The only decor here is nature itself which changes in accordance with the light and the seasons. The feeling of being at the end of the world is an unrequited luxury: everything necessary to a modern way of life is just a short distance away. The chateau’s architecture is sober without being monotonous, the interiors are spacious but not enormous. Essential home comforts have been meticulously installed. Finishing works are a golden opportunity for new owners to give free rein to their own personal tastes in a first-class setting. The outbuildings exude even more potential. Such a property is but one of life’s blessings.
Fill out the form below to contact the agent for any further information you may need