- 12 bedrooms
- 20 habitable rooms
- 1400 square meters of living space
- 500 square meters of surface of the outbuildings
This property stands in the midst of the Auge Country, in the north-west of the French department of Eure.
Paris is 200 km away via the A13 motorway and can be reached in just over two hours.
The nearest train stations are in Pont-Audemer and Lisieux (some 16 km away).
Deauville-Trouville is 30 km away, Honfleur is 25 km away.
The nearest small town with all local shops and amenities is but 2 km away.
Out of sight of onlookers and away from all nuisances, this property stands in unspoilt countryside, surrounded by green belt areas which cannot be built on. A discreet, little, tree-lined road provides access to the property’s wooden gates.
The latter open on to a long driveway leading to the chateau and providing interesting views of the parklands, planted with trees over a hundred years old.
Originally a fortified castle, it was destroyed in 1374 and reconstructed in 1385 for Jean-Le-Bigot with authorisation from King Charles VI.
A bill of sale mentions: a manor house, a stronghold house and a feudal motte in the form of an old castle.
The building was reconstructed for Jean-Ferey in the last quarter of the 16th century and then restored by architect Henry-Jacquelin at the beginning of the 20th century.
Its Saint-Jean brick and dressed stone facade, with toothed quoins and decorative crosses, catches the light on its red and black bricks, bestowing it with a character, typical of this period.
The building spans a total of approx. 1,400 m² of living space spread out over three levels, topped with attic space.
The nailed slate roof, part of which has been redone, is supported on stone corbelling and features numerous roof dormers and zinc bull’s eye windows as well as several brick chimney stacks
The chateau is surrounded by old, dry moats, now laid to lawn. The main courtyard is reached via a so-called lattice-work bridge, composed of brick and dressed stone.
This chateau comprises a central building, flanked by two wings set at right angles. Its numerous wooden-framed, small-paned windows and French windows all have white dressed stone surrounds. They are positioned so as to let in copious amounts of light.
The east facade of the chateau is enhanced at each end with watch-turrets, reflecting a chequered pattern. Topped with candlesnuffer roofs, they are embellished with zinc ornamentation
The north facade, however, has very few openings for climate reasons.
The caretaker’s cottage
This house, spanning approx. 200 m² of living space, was constructed using traditional Norman methods. Its two half-timbered levels are topped with a slate roof, featuring shed dormers. It also has an adjoining garage.
This round building, composed of Saint-Jean bricks, features decorative crosses. Its roof is covered with small local tiles and topped with a finial.
A farm building
This old red brick building is composed of a central section, extended by two wings. It was used as a stable or a farmhouse.
This old sheepfold has half-timbering, constructed on stone and flint lower sections. Its roof is covered with small local tiles
This half-timbered outbuilding has a roof covered with small local tiles. It is used as a storage area for garden tools and firewood.
Spanning approx. 7 hectares, the parklands are completely enclosed. They are harmoniously planted so as to create pastoral areas, with views over the surrounding countryside.
Planted with various species of trees over a hundred years old, they are dotted with copses and coppice stand.
A vegetable garden as well as a lake fed by a natural spring are also to be found.
Details of surface areas
The vast size of the rooms in this chateau and the heights of their ceilings (more than 4 m high) evoke the importance of this property at the time the chateau was built.
Dating from this period in Normandy’s history, this architectural gem is a rare and authentic place which will delight history and heritage enthusiasts.
The many outhouses and outbuildings still belonging to the property add to the stateliness exuded by this chateau.
With its somewhat intimidating, initial appearance, said vast chateau could, courtesy of numerous features, become a family home. It is one of those places with the rare and special quality of making visitors take the time necessary to fully explore and appreciate the entire property. It is this quality which has ensured its survival down through the centuries.
Fill out the form below to contact the agent for any further information you may need