- 9 bedrooms
- 2 bathrooms
- 12 habitable rooms
- 300 square meters of living space
- 660 square meters of surface of the outbuildings
In the French undulating department of Charente where it borders the Green Périgord area, with streams meandering between fields, woods and horse farms, is a hamlet in a dominant position. The narrow street running through it leads in four minutes to a village with all amenities including a grocery, a bakery, a butchery, a school, a nursery, a health centre, a chemist, a post office and a garage as well as public transport services to the town of Angoulême, known for its cultural life with its French film festival, its circuit around the ramparts, its international comic strip festival and its Gastronomades weekend, dedicated to local produce. TGV train stations (Angoulême 20 minutes away and Bordeaux 90 minutes away) as well as the N10 dual carriageway provide easy access to the north and south of France. Limoges international airport is 70 minutes away.
This L-shaped farm building is the main building in the hamlet. Constructed in 1835 on the side of a hill and extended in 1947 by skilled craftsmen (Compagnons du Devoir), each of its external facades faces a different direction, on a different level, but always featuring flowers or shade. An inner central courtyard is adorned with a well and closed by a little outbuilding, spanning two levels. Used for storage purposes as well as a summer dining room, it leads via a step, on one side, to the main terrace with its unobstructed view over the parklands and, on the other, another step further down to a third terrace, shaded by a horse chestnut as well as two walnut trees. A narrow passageway at the end of this leads to a bathing area near to which a summer kitchen has been shrewdly laid out.
The large central terrace on the north side looks out over the street running through the hamlet. On the other side, an annex house includes a garage and bedrooms, adjoined by a garden enclosed by a low stone wall.
The parklands on the south side slope gently down around the buildings and alternate between lawn and numerous species of trees and shrubs such as maple, cedar, purple beech, Austrian pine, Judas, magnolia, birch, oak, plum and cherry trees.
On the east and north-east sides are four old outbuildings with their courtyard or garden and a house awaiting restoration. These buildings are surrounded by meadows, protected by woods.
The main house
This L-shaped farmhouse, spanning three levels on the road side and just two levels on the garden side, blends particularly well with the general lie of the land. The architecture comprising white exposed stone, white shutters and Roman roof tiles is characteristic of the region.
A short distance away, between the main house and the meadows, several independent outbuildings await restoration. These include a long traditional farmhouse, comprising a garage as well as bedrooms, and a house. Each has a courtyard or an adjoining garden.
This family residence has been meticulously renovated using noble materials and the result exudes harmony and authenticity. The way in which the architecture opens on to the outside, with its numerous doors and windows on all sides, provides an immediate feeling of well-being for many. A large number of landscapes, framed by the windows, can be added to this luminosity, whilst the varying levels are almost a feature in themselves. A feature that is enhanced by the wide choice of terraces, one of which is always just right for the season. Nuisance-free and unoverlooked, only one of the few neighbours ever passes by in the street. The annex houses and the outbuildings inspire ideas of independence. In addition to all the advantages of this location, four golf courses are within a 35 km radius.
Fill out the form below to contact the agent for any further information you may need