- 5 bedrooms
- 12 habitable rooms
- 440 square meters of living space
- 1200 square meters of surface of the outbuildings
In the French department of Loire-Atlantique, less than an hour from the beaches. Set amidst vineyards in the area around Nantes. 25 minutes from the centre of Nantes, 20 minutes from its airport and its train station. In a busy town with more than 20,000 inhabitants, 10-minute train links to Nantes as well as primary and secondary schools.
This property cannot be seen from the road. It is accessed via a secondary road, bordered by vines, and then via a private, 300 m long driveway.
This is one of the oldest follies in the area around Nantes. Constructed in 1785 by Alexis-Mosneron on the site of a 16th century manor house, it has a typical layout within its perimeter walls. Both buildings and garden have been preserved, maintained and restored over the years.
The driveway, bordered by high walls on one side and by vines on the other, leads to gates that open into a main courtyard. The folly stands on the west side, whilst outbuildings, forming the north side, are set out around a secondary courtyard. On the east side are woods and a meadow where sheep and fallow deer graze. The garden only comes into view once through the door of the folly. It is surrounded by woods, meadows and vines which are separated from it by a walk-walk, looking down on to it.
This rectangular construction comprises a main, 2-storey building, with four bays, extended on either side by a lower pavilion. The residence is perfectly symmetrical around an axis formed by the front door on the courtyard side and a curved projection on the garden side.
The granite and freestone facades, rendered using sand from the river Loire and topped with slate roofs, make for a harmonious, sober and luminous property.
The 18th century architectural features are remarkably well preserved or have been restored in keeping with good trade practices.
Only the windows in the rotunda lounge are original, all the others have been replaced like-for-like with double glazing.
The main outbuildings
The outbuildings form an open courtyard off the main courtyard. Spanning a total floor surface area of more than 1,000 m², they include a wine storehouse, two houses and miscellaneous buildings. All the carcasses are in a very good state of repair.
The other outbuildings
These include a small dovecote at the entrance to the courtyard, a hay barn, storerooms, an area where horse-drawn carts were once kept, a barn for the fallow deer, a garage and a farm shed.
The land and the vines
Approx. 1.5 ha of vines rented on a land lease adjoin the outbuildings. Grasslands extend down to a navigable river. An old landing stage, probably dating from the time of “Hirondelle” river barges but currently not in use, once enabled boats to moor up such that its passengers could walk through the vines. A stream runs through the woods.
The engraving “Et in Arcadia ego” (literally meaning And I am in Arcadia), featured on an obelisk in the woods, is also to be found on two of Poussin’s paintings. Therefore, the tone of classicism and joy of tamed natural surroundings is set. The symmetry, on which the layout of the buildings and the garden is founded, provides a feeling of serenity with just a few exceptions to break the monotony. The preserved, late 18th century decors do not make this residence a museum but reflect a period of change: the rocaille-style left a little of its warmth whilst new sober lines satisfied reason. It is clear to see that this deserving property has been pampered for thirty years. The land extends down to a river which, with its locks, can be used to reach Nantes or the Muscadet vineyards.
Fill out the form below to contact the agent for any further information you may need