- 5 bedrooms
- 4 bathrooms
- 8 habitable rooms
- 278 square meters of living space
- 262 square meters of surface of the outbuildings
Near to Saint-Malo, shops and amenities, just a stone’s throw from the river Rance and the beaches surrounding “Corsair City”. 65 km from Rennes and 55 minutes away via the train.
This “Malouinière” (the name given to country residences built by St Malo’s ship owners in the 17th & 18th centuries) stands on a corner formed by two roads. Grasslands and fields border the two other sides. It is set in a rectangle. A courtyard is bordered by an entrance gateway, flanked by stone pillars and adorned, on either side, with latrines and woodsheds in a corner. The manor house and the outbuildings face one another. The courtyard is closed by a fruit-store and a scullery set at right angles.
Behind the outbuildings, the farmyard with its cowshed, is also enclosed by walls. It includes the dovecote. An opening leads beyond the walls to a carpark, a little wood and a horse pool surrounded by lawns.
A building inside the walls, used as a bakery and a laundry, stands in the middle of the wooded garden, with square vegetable patches and an orchard. The immense glazed greenhouse adjoins a wall not far from the “Malouinière” and twin pavilions take up the corners at the end of the parklands.
“Malouinières” belong to the French 18th century architectural inventory. Their numbers grew during a very short time period courtesy of the wealth accumulated by St Malô’s merchants and ship owners. Owners of mansion houses in the old town, their country houses, equally sober in size, made it possible to receive guests and to find privacy.
These havens of short-lived holidays are discreetly laid out and enclosed by high walls. The essential garden comes with square vegetable patches and an orchard, a cowshed and a farmyard. Family-run mixed farming was the main means of providing supplies within the perimeter walls of Saint-Malo. As well as the dovecote, the postal system of the times. Today,112 “Malouinières” have been identified by the French Historic Monument Association.
This “Malouinière” dates from 1720. The walls are made of lime-rendered, local shale stone blocks. Chausey granite was used for fundamental features in order to enhance the architectural composition, notably on the south facade, such as the horizontal string course separating the levels, the rusticated masonry dressed stone quoins and the roof cornice.
The main building is flanked by two wings, the roof dormers are aligned directly above the openings, the hip slate roof is steep (constructed by marine carpenters). It features tall, buttress chimney stacks and finials at the ridge ends.
The cowshed transformed into a house
Constructed around 1820 and having fallen into disuse, this old cowshed was rehabilitated as of 1975 and turned into a small family home. It is built of shale stone blocks and is topped with a hip slate roof. It stands on one side of the farmyard, from which it is separated by a hedge. Two predominantly glazed extensions, added to this facade, have been bordered by a terrace, paved with wide flagstones. The principle is the same on the other side. The extensions flank an opening, topped with a canopy, that leads beyond the perimeter walls to the lawn surrounding a horse pool. And lastly, a doorway in the living room opens directly into the glazed greenhouse intended for cacti.
The old outbuildings
These date from 1755. Contrary to the sober, military architecture of the “Malouinières”, the architectural composition of the outbuildings reveals a desire to play with the lack of distance from the courtyard using trompe-l’œil and perspective effects.
Originally a shed for horse-drawn carriages, a stable, a cellar used for storing wine and food, as well as a press-house (wine was made here at the time). The upstairs comprised a hayloft, a dovecote, and two bedrooms for seasonal workers.
Today, these outbuildings accommodate a large house.
The bakery, the laundry and the well
These were restored to their original state in 1998 in accordance with pre-war photographs. The old laundry houses a central well, dated 1746. The other section of the building comprises a fireplace and a bread oven on the ground floor. A stairway goes up to a small bedroom and a storage room where bundles of wood were kept.
The twin pavilions
These were built in 1756. One of them was used as a small stable for a donkey (useful for working in the garden). Upstairs, a hayloft can be reached via a terrace. The second houses an oratory.
The glazed greenhouse for rare cacti
This was built in the 19th century. 26 m long and more than 5 m wide as well as high, it houses more than 500 species of cacti and succulents from all the tropical countries. Some specimens are from those brought back to France by a commodore around 1820. Others are cuttings of cuttings which were brought back in the first half of the 19th century by St Malô captains and ship owners.
The parklands, the vegetable patches and the orchard
The south facade of the “Malouinière” is bordered by French formal parterres. Then, square vegetable patches are laid out next to the orchard through to the end of the parklands as the original function of the 18th century garden has been restored.
The horse pool
This was constructed in 1734. It was originally a watering place-wash-house which was used by the entire village and surrounding farms. It is outside of the property. Semi-circular in shape, it is completely paved and slopes down to a depth of 2.50 m. It is fed by drainage from the garden and a source that does not exceed a temperature of 11°.
Portholes for “playing at corsairs”
This is a most unusual and, above all, unique building. A granite, roofless construction with a very particular shape. It is very probably a stone boat so that the ship owner’s children could become familiar with or even practice operating or at the very least get used to the surroundings of the bridge of a ship with portholes and a little helm. Constructed so that the children of the house could “play at corsairs”.
The corsairs’ way of life fashioned this property. This “house of leisure” (as the “Malouinières” were called) is like a haven of peace when compared to “Corsair City”. Within its walls, the memory is so vivid that it is as if time has stood still. Its traces remain however buried in the ground, in archives and in stone. These Gentlemen of Saint-Malo, their courage and their exploits on the high seas are not forgotten. Such a residence was the complement essential to their way of life. Secret and protective, warm and comfortable, refined and relaxing. Just a stone’s throw from Saint-Malô’s perimeter walls, it does not appear to have been touched by modern-day life.
Fill out the form below to contact the agent for any further information you may need