- 16 bedrooms
- 20 habitable rooms
- 1934 square meters of living space
- 450 square meters of surface of the outbuildings
In the Loire Valley, classified as a World Heritage site by Unesco.
The mild climate makes this region extremely attractive. This property is just 20 minutes from Tours (which is less than an hour away from Paris via TGV train) and 15 minutes from a motorway slip road, putting the French capital 2½ hours away by car via the A10 motorway.
In a village, crossed by a river, with all local shops and amenities, this impressive chateau stands in the midst of 7 hectares of parklands.
Two round towers bear witness to the fact that this chateau was constructed on the vestiges of an old 15th century fortress. It then underwent major redesigning works at the beginning of the 18th century. General-Marquis-de-La-Fayette inherited the property from his mother, Marie-Louise-Julie-de-La-Rivière. The Marquis and his wife, born Adrienne-de-Noailles, stayed here many times up until 1792, date when the La-Fayette family sold the chateau. The building comprises a garden level, a ground floor, two upper levels and an attic floor as well as a chapel which flanks the north gable wall. It has been fully restored on the inside. This property also includes two outbuildings, awaiting renovation, and numerous cellars hewn in the rock.
The current chateau, constructed in 1710, comprises a main building with a wing set at right angles on the east side. It is flanked by two towers dating from the 15th century on the west facade. A chapel, built in 1861 in a neo-gothic style, extends the main building on its north side. The east side of this chateau faces a main courtyard, whilst its west side looks out over parklands and lawns.
The chapel, flanking the north gable wall, was built as an extension of the main building. The first stone was blessed on 30 July 1717 and this place of worship, devoted to Saint-Louis, was consecrated on 27 June 1719. It houses the founder’s sumptuous marble mausoleum, the work of Dijon’s sculptor, Claude-Dubois. The stainless steel windows were made by Pierre-Lobin. In pristine condition, it is the biggest private chapel in the region.
This property also comprises two outbuildings awaiting renovation. One is a caretaker’s cottage, spanning 300 m², with three main rooms on the ground floor, three rooms upstairs and a vast vaulted cellar. More outbuildings on the south-west side include a small, chalet style house, spanning approx. 15 m². And lastly, there are two large cellars, spanning over 100 m², hewn in the rock.
The adjoining 6.9 hectares of parklands, including the main courtyard, a terrace and gravel alleyways, are completely enclosed. Some of the trees are over one hundred years old. The miscellaneous species consist of conifer, oak and lime trees with an orchard comprising fruit trees. These immaculately kept parklands surround the chateau.
After Chenonceau, Amboise, Loches and Villandry comes the chateau of the Marquis-de-La-Fayette. The current building is not much older than the military exploits of the illustrious general. Notably remaining from the original building are two round towers which contribute to the balance and harmony of the property. Their candlesnuffer roofs rise up into the sky like the spire on the chapel, whilst the modestly aligned windows are but an invitation for earthly pleasures. Sixteen bedrooms featuring different styles, a lift and an interior decoration worthy of the building’s overall elegance are not superb vestiges left by its history but the peaceful opulence in which the premises have always been steeped.
Fill out the form below to contact the agent for any further information you may need