It’s that time of year again where tissues are a desk and handbag essential, and bathroom cupboards are raided for numerous concoctions of winter blues medicines. However you still find yourself struggling to shift that cold. Time to try something different! As an annual sufferer of seasonal colds I have some what perfected the secrets of home remedies. These are my top five home cures: 1. Eucalyptus oil is a staple healer; its antibacterial effects go hand in hand with the specific bacteria held by a cold. Put eucalyptus oil in 2 cups of boiling water and breath in the steam, this is a fantastic help with congestion.
2. Honey. This is perhaps one of my preferred remedies. As an antibacterial, honey is the key to a firm favourite. Stir together honey, lemon and hot water for a warming drink. For an extra kick add some whisky, this really makes a difference!
* Give Country Life for Christmas and save up to 40%
3. Myrrh is an anti-inflammatory and antiseptic, very powerful and excellent for chronic sore throats. It acts also as an expectorant and decongestant. Dilute myrrh with water or mix it with other herbs and use as a gargle.
4. Oregano oil. Many singers use oregano oil to fight respiratory allergies, laryngitis and sore throats. This is used for its antifungal and antibacterial properties; singers use it for a reason. Take 3 drops per day for up to 5 days. It can also be consumed mixed with orange juice or anything else you think works.
5. Sage is commonly used to cure a sore throat, blocked nose and coughs. It is a powerful antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal. This is to be used as a gargle. A mix of water and pure tea tree oil to gargle also works wonders with sore throats.
* Follow us on Twitter