Although a spring trip to Venice or Florence would be nice, it’s much simpler to bring Italy to you with homemade gelato. With only four ingredients and an ice cream maker, you are on your way to the perfect frozen treat.
2 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
4 egg yolks
½ cup sugar (superfine is best, refined works as well)
1. Mix the milk and cream in a saucepan. Once bubbles start to form around the edges of the pan, remove the mixture from the heat.
2. Beat egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl until they become foamy (about one minute).
3. Slowly pour the warm milk and cream into the whipped eggs. Make sure to whisk this mixture as you combine them.
4. Place everything back into the saucepan and cook over medium heat. Use a wooden spoon to stir. Once the mixture has thickened (but before lumps form), take the pan off of the heat.
5. Strain the mixture into a bowl, and then cover and chill for several hours.
6. Place the mixture into an ice cream maker. Follow the instructions on the ice cream maker to freeze properly.
7. Serve and enjoy.
You can always be adventurous with flavours-try vanilla, chocolate, pistachio, or blueberry!
If the kitchen isn’t your thing, try these gelatetrias for the best gelato in London.
Gelupo and they deliver!
7 Archer Street, Soho, W1D 7AU
Gino Gelato sorbet – exotic special flavours as well
3 Adelaide Street, Covent Garden, WC2N 4HZ
Scoop: three in central locations!
16 Old Brompton Road, South Kensington, SW7 3DL; 53 Brewer Street, Soho, W1F 9UJ; 40 Short’s Gardens, Covent Garden, WC2H 9AB