Ingredients9 oz. (250g) flour
1 pinch of salt
4 tablespoon sugar
1/2 glass water
2 oz (60g) butter
2.2 lb (1 kg) cooking apples, cored, peeled and sliced
3 tablespoon raisins
zest of 1 lemon, grated
- Pre-heat the oven at 200ºC, 400ºF (Gas Mark 6) and grease a baking sheet.
- Place flour, egg, salt and 1 tablespoon sugar into a large bowl. Place water and butter in a saucepan and warm up. Pour onto the flour.
- Process well until pastry dough forms. Cover it and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
- Roll dough out onto a lightly floured surface until very thin.
- Brush the dough with butter. Add the apples and on top of them sprinkle the walnuts, pine nuts, raisins, lemon zest and 3 tablespoon of sugar.
- Fold short ends of dough over filling. Fold long sides over filling and then roll up to enclose.
- Place the strudel in the baking dish(seam side down) and brush it with butter.
- Place the dish on the centre shelf of the oven and cook for 1 hour.
- Once baked remove the strudel from the dish.
Serve warm or at room temperature.