Basic ice cream recipe
The beauty of making your own is that you can personalise it to your taste. Recipes vary but the one below is easy and can be modified according to taste
2 eggs, separated
2oz/60g caster sugar
10floz/300ml double cream
1-2 tsp vanilla extract
* Beat the egg whites together in a bowl until stiff. Add the sugar a spoonful at a time until the mixture is stiff with a bit of a ‘shine’.
* In a separate bowl whisk the cream until firm but not too stiff.
* Mix egg yolks and vanilla extract together
* Fold the whipped cream gently into the egg white mixture with a spatula
* When the mixture is almost blended add the egg yolks a spoonful at a time and mix together
Pour the mixture into a plastic freezer container and freeze for at least 6 hours
* Take out of freezer 10 minutes before serving
If you want to ‘customise’ your ice cream you can add your flavours to the mixture just before freezing
Serve however you wish but an old favourite from childhood is simply cutting a slice from your ice cream ‘brick’ and placing between 2 wafers