Crackenthorpe Hall Grade II*-listed is Secluded and on the banks of the River Eden, near Appleby, Cumbria, had been owned by the Machell family for the best part of 600 years, when the current owners bought it some ten years ago.
The house has longstanding royal connections, for Henry VI took refuge there, following his defeat at the battle of Hexham in 1464, and in 1905 Edward VII was a guest at the wedding of Percy Machell and Lady Valda, a relation of Queen Victoria?s.
The hall has evolved over the centuries and includes Tudor, Restoration, Georgian and Victorian additions. Gently renovated by the owners, it stands in 31 acres of formal gardens, grounds and woodland, and has 1.75 miles of fishing on the highly-rated River Eden.
The rambling, 16-bedroom, house is currently divided into three self-contained wings: the north wing, comprising the Jacobean Hall, seven bedrooms and three bathrooms; the south wing comprising the Great Hall, three reception rooms, six bedrooms and three bathrooms; and the three bedroom west wing. But it could easily be reconfigured to form a single substantial residence, say selling agents Savills (01904-617820) who quote a guide price of £2 million.
This article was originally published in Country Life magazine, November 10, 2005. To subscribe click here.