Poison kills golden eagle

One half of the only breeding pair of golden eagles in the Scottish Borders has been killed by poison.

The 10-year-old female bird was found yesterday, and test results have shown that the banned poison carbofuran was the cause of death.

The Scottish Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) has offered a £1,000 reward to anyone who can provide important information about who was responsible, and they have expressed extreme concern for the golden eagle chick, because, although it has fledged, it will still be expecting care and feeding from both parents.

Bob Elliot, head of investigations for the Scottish RSPB, has described the poisoning as ‘shameful’.