- 4 bedrooms
- 4 bathrooms
- 11 habitable rooms
- 483 square meters of living space
- 800 square meters of surface of the outbuildings
Courtesy of the proximity of the A83 motorway, the town centre of Nantes is less than an hour away and its international airport is but 45 minutes away. La-Roche-sur-Yon (20 km) is easily reached via the main road. The A87 motorway makes it easy to get to Cholet (50 minutes) and Angers (1½ hours). La-Roche-sur-Yon train station has regular links to Les-Sables-d'Olonnes, Nantes and Paris.
This chateau, in the French department of Vendée, is just a stone’s throw from Grasla national forest where the local population took refuge during the 1793 uprising. It stands on the outskirts of an old Vendée fiefdom which now has all local amenities and is renowned for having welcomed one of the nephews, and marshal, of King Louis XIV.
A central, 200 m long alleyway, lined with oak trees, crosses 10 hectares of fields before reaching the main entrance. This is guarded by a hunting lodge and tall metal gates. A perimeter wall encloses the property. The 3 hectares of parklands, gardens landscaped in 1893 and redesigned in 2002, are planted with several trees over a hundred years old, including sequoia, ash, oak and lime trees. They also have numerous camellia, azalea and boxwood bushes. Alleyways lead to the various outbuildings of the chateau, some of which have been so well renovated that they are able to accommodate up to 40 guests. The property’s two swimming pools, one heated indoor pool and one outdoor pool, make it possible to take relaxing dips from April through until October. An orangery is but an invitation to read and relax. On the sides and in front of the chateau are the old wash-house, the bread oven and the moat, all bearing witness to its history.
This 19th century chateau, spanning a floor surface area of 485 m², and its 305 m² outbuildings were constructed in 1830 on the vestiges of an old Seigneury, dating from 1495. It comprises a central building, with two towers, partially built into the carcass, at each end of the south side and two wings set at right angles, with pavilion roofs, on the north facade. It is constructed from dressed stone and topped with a traditional roofing framework, covered with natural slate. The entire carcass is in an excellent state of repair.
Visitors neither smile nor frown when faced with the elegance and soberness of this 19th century construction. Its high level of home comforts is obvious even from the outside. One facade features a large terrace set between two slight, square projections. On the other are towers, topped with candlesnuffer roofs; its central bay is a rotunda, letting in copious amounts of daylight. The logical course of action would be to continue the bed & breakfast and holiday rental accommodation unit activity, extended by its outbuildings, which the visitors’ book proves is much appreciated. French director, Frank Guérin, filmed “Un jour d'été” (A summer’s day) here in 2006. The organisers of the “Tour de France” cycle race have included the chateau along its route in 2018.
Fill out the form below to contact the agent for any further information you may need