- 7 bedrooms
- 4 bathrooms
- 20 habitable rooms
- 1100 square meters of living space
Some 15 minutes from Rennes, on the outskirts of a town with 20,000 inhabitants, a good public transport network, all amenities and shops. An hour’s drive from the Emerald Coast and from the Gulf of Morbihan.
This property is bordered by a river which flows into the river Vilaine, after having meandered its way through a variety of landscapes much more sparsely populated than the sea fronts.
Rennes station provides 1½-hour TGV train links to Paris whilst its airport has flights to London, Brussels and numerous other European capitals taking less than 2 hours.
The entrance gates, on the other side of the moat, open into parklands spanning almost five hectares. Standing on the site of an old medieval manor house, the overall impression is one of a 17th century building. Classical in style, this building has impressive, steep slate roofs and violet shale quarry block facades featuring vertical openings. The current building, the facades and roofs of which have French Historic Monument listing, was constructed in the 15th century and redesigned over the following centuries. Many written documents bear witness to the fact that this place is an important part of the region’s history. An entrance porch, where justice was handed out, a chapel, a cemetery, a fishpond, a dovecote. The decline of the estate and, with it, the disappearance of most of these constructions, was noted in the middle of the 18th century. In 1766, the king gave authorisation for the manor house to be destroyed. But perhaps it benefitted from the troubled period prior to the French Revolution and escaped this royal decision? New life was breathed into it in the 19th century courtesy of restoration works carried out by its successive owners. In 1944, at the end of the Second World War, Rennes and several neighbouring towns suffered heavy damage from bombing, but once again the building was spared. Certain historians refer to it as “the manor house that miraculously survived, twice”. The current owners have restored the manor house, using it as their home and for professional purposes.
The manor house
This manor house, spanning approx. 1,100 m² of living space, has central heating and is connected to mains gas. Both the plumbing and the electric wiring have been redone. It comprises two elongated, rectangular buildings set at right angles. The semi-circular arched entrance gateway dates from the early 19th century. It is preceded by a two-arch bridge which spans the now dry moat. The sand and lime rendering on this facade contrasts with the shale quarry block facing used for the facades in the inner courtyard. An arched doorway in the north building is adorned with two Ionic order pilasters and a triangular pediment featuring an ogee-shaped coat-of-arms. The steep roofs are topped with lead finials and four curved pediment roof dormers, each flanked by two inverted corbels.
The parklands, spanning a surface area of approx. three hectares, are laid to lawn dotted with trees and copses. Near to the entrance, a carport for three vehicles backs on to the only remaining wall of the old chapel. A well, near the courtyard, supplies water for watering the vegetable garden. The parklands are partially bordered by the river where the vestiges of a fishpond are to be found, together with a landing stage, consisting of a few stone steps. A wood, spanning a surface area of approx. one hectare, is also part of this estate.
In a good geographical location with the dynamic Breton county town nearby, within easy reach of the north and south coasts of Brittany as well as the Vilaine Valley with its many hiking trails through bocage countryside. A few interior works would transform the premises back into living accommodation. The choice of materials results in a simplicity and a soberness which enhance the elegance of its proportions. Its riverside setting as well as the moat around the house and garden give it an appearance and a stateliness that make it stand out from other local manor houses. This L-shaped construction evokes an open book inviting residents to explore the parklands and the past of this monument, now a symbol of deep-rootedness.
Fill out the form below to contact the agent for any further information you may need