Menu Search
House In Tipperary, Ireland
Property features
Email AgentEmail Agent
  • 5 bedrooms
Property description
Bellevue House and Estate
A splendid gentlemans estate with an outstanding Georgian Manor House in an elevated mature setting surrounded by mature trees and parkland, with stunning rural and lake views over the east shore ofLoughDerg, County Tipperary.The house dates to 1750, when the estate was in the ownership of theSadlierFamily. The manor house is a detached seven bay, two story house over a basement, with three bay side elevations. Hipped slate roof with central rendered chimney stacks. An unusual feature of the house is the cut stoneAshlarlimestonefaade, with cut stone cornice, the remaining elevations being rendered. The house and property in general have undergone major restoration and refurbishment since being acquired by the current owner.TheSadlierfamily descend from Col. ThomasSadleir, ofSopwellHall, County Tipperary, who represented the counties ofCarlow,Kilkenny,Wexford,Galway, Mayo, and Tipperary in Parliament at various times during the 17th century and at one time owned, or more correctly, was granted large tracts of land in the North Riding of County Tipperary by Cromwell.It appears from historical documentation that the land upon whichBellevueHouse stands, was owned by one CharlesSadleir. Under the Renewable Leasehold Conversion Act, which recites an original lease made on the second of March 1750, between CharlesSadlierand one JohnChawner, who is accredited with the construction ofBellevue. From an indenture dated the third of March 1857, we note the property transfers from ThomasSadlier, at the time residing on the south terrace,Borrisokane, to Samuel DicksonBiggs. The house and lands then passed to George WashingtonBiggsby deed of the 14th of December 1897. SamuelBiggsdied in 1904, followed some 53 years later by his son George, who had not exercised his power of appointment conferred on him by family settlement deed of the 16th of December 1897, and thus the house and lands passed to his son Samuel George WashingtonBiggs. Samuel George WashingtonBiggssoldBellevueHouse and the lands to the Mr. and Mrs. Harold Williams on the first of April 1968. The house was then sold on the 10th of January 1997 to the current occupier.Architecturally the house is intriguing. An earlier less imposing farmhouse, possibly the stewards or farm managers house stood, on the site, close to the large stone farmyard and extensive walled garden. The original house was incorporated into the structure we see today by the addition of the spectacular front and generous reception rooms and bedrooms all of which have uninterrupted views over the verdant North Tipperary Countryside and the wide expanses ofLoughDerg. The many outstanding period features within the house are a direct result of the sympathetic and period-based refurbishment undertaken by the current owners. The undertaking to return the house to its former glory did not end with the house but included the three courtyards to the rear. The stone sheds have been re-roofed, remodeled and in the case of the nearest barn converted into a remarkable social, business, and entertaining space.BellevueEstate is approached through imposing wrought iron gates mounted between cut stone pillars with adjoining pedestrian gates, all set into quadrant walls topped with wrought iron railings. The main gate leads to a meandering avenue, with mature specimen trees, Beech, Holly Oak, Lime, Chestnut, both Horse and Spanish, interspersed with more recent plantings of Copper Beech, Atlas Cedar and Bay Laurel. The gravel avenue extends for approximately 1.2 kilometers from the entrance gates to the gravel fore court to the front of the house. A series of limestone steps rise over the basement level to access the front door, with itspilasteredcut-stonedoorcase.Through the main entrance, approached via rising limestone steps, the reception hall atBellevueis a testament to the exceptional quality of the restoration which is reflected throughout. The impressive reception hall has polished timber floor and paneled walls with matching alcoves, stone chimney piece with inset stove and ornate ceiling plasterwork. To the left of the hall is the atmospheric dining room with columned stonemantlepiecewith brass inset and grate. The dining room enjoys a dual aspect, looking down the wooded avenue and to the front toLoughDerg. On the opposite side of the hall is the delightful drawing room with abosci style chimney piece with brass inset and grate, ornate ceiling rose and large bay overlooking the grounds. Like the dining room the drawing room has dual aspect, overlooking the manicured lawns andLoughDerg. The drawing room in turn opens to the sitting room with polished timber flooring, columned marble fireplace with brass inset and grate, and fine ornate ceiling with plasterwork. The sitting room connects to the stairs hall with roof lantern, off which is the cloakroom. A couple of steps takes one to the family room, passing the door to the basement. The family room has polished timber floors, Scandinavian stove, French doors to garden, fitted open shelving. From the family room is the door to kitchen and breakfast room with an extensive range of fitted wall and floor mounted kitchen units, central food preparation island with Belfast style sink. Four-oven, oil firedAGA. Bay window with seating. Double doors to the large butlers pantry which in turn allows for direct access to the dining room. Opposite the kitchen on the other side of the family room is the door to the integrated garage and then to the boiler house with oil-fired boiler system.On the first-floor return is the home cinema and sitting room with timber lined ceiling and two windows overlooking the house courtyard. There are two double bedrooms, both ensuite, all with timber lined ceilings.Also on the first floor are three further bedrooms. There are two double bedrooms, both ensuite. The first of which has ornate carvedmantlepiecewith gas-fired grate and steps rising to tiled ensuite bathroom with bath shower and separate dressing room. The second bedroom, also a double, has an ensuite shower room. The third bedroom is the truly delightful master bedroom suite. The bedroom with marble chimney piece and open arch to a smallsunroomwhich offers exceptional views over the Parkland, countryside, andLoughDerg. The bathroom has double washbasins andjacuzzibath, bidet wash basin and shower. Completing the bedroom suite is a very large walk-in wardrobe.Steps from the stairs hall descend to the semi-basement which has timber lined ceilings and tiled flooring throughout. Here there are two large offices with a double-sided stove heating both sides. In addition, there is a small gym area off which is the sauna, steam room, shower, and water closet. The wine cellar is accessed from the gym area. The central office area connects through the boot room with its separate water closet to a French door which leads to the grounds. Throughout the basement area there are numerous storage cupboards and astrongroom.Immediately o the rear of the house is the courtyard. There are several small and large sheds in the courtyard. The wood fired central heating boiler occupies the small open-ended shed to the right of the back door. Immediately adjoining is the open fronted wood store, which in turn abuts the two-story tower over arch to stable yard, with large reserve freshwater tank atop. Next is the implement shed for gardening equipment and lawn mowers and a further store. Opposite is the converted byre. A single-story L shaped building, fully refurbished, open planmulti-functional space, suitable as a party room, board room or games room. This delightful space enjoys views over and direct access to, the walled garden. Decorated with timber paneled ceiling, timber flooring, glass blocks on some elevations, and painted walls, the space is filled with light. The sitting area is heated by a Scandinavian stove. At one end, two shower rooms and stairs rising to attic storage, and at the other a full kitchen, off which stairs lead to storage room attic space.The adjoining gated arch leads to the extensive walled garden with associated gardeners cottage, currently used for storage. The walled garden has several fruit trees, but in the main is laid out in lawns interspersed with flowering shrubs and trees.Through the water tower arch is the stable yard. The grooms cottage is tiny and used for storage. The adjoining three stables have been partially refurbished, and designed to allow conversion subject to planning consent, suitable for possible residential accommodation. Next are three coach houses, with concrete floors. The loft extends over the entire of this structure. A small stone shed with enclosure is next. Believed to have been the bull pen in times past. The final building contains five large stables with loft over.The farmyard contains a three-spanhaybarnwith three-span lean-to on one side.On the lake shore is a traditional stone-built boat house, suitable for storing two lake boats. The associated harbour is large enough to moor two larger cruisers of sailing boats, subject to a maximum draft of approximately one meter.The land ofBellevueEstate extends to approximately 250 acres. The lands are laid out as parkland pastures, grazing paddocks, mature woodland, and some commercial forestry, mainly hardwoods. A feature of the estate is approximately two kilometers of lake frontage toLoughDerg.The parkland and pasture lands extending to approximately 120 acres are used for the grazing of cattle. These lands are tenanted, on a 11-monthconacrelicense to a local farmer.The mature woodland extends to approximately 50 acres and is predominantly located close to the main house and avenue, with some shelter belts throughout the pastures.The commercial forestry extends to approximately 70 acres and is basically a hardwood plantation. The crop is starting to get to the thinning stage in some sections.Bellevueis located on the eastern shores ofLoughDergin County Tipperary. There are a few small hamlets in the area includingBallinderry,Coolbaun,andKilbarron. The main commercial center of the area is the market town ofNenagh, approximately 18 kilometers southeast.Nenagh, is a very active town with several primary and secondary educational facilities. There are three shopping centers on the outskirts of the town, with international retailers such as Tesco,Aldi,Lidle, and Dunes Stores.Nenaghis served by Rail and road connections to Limerick and Dublin Cities.Limerick City with its international connections through Shannon International Airport is approximately a one-hour drive via the M7 and N18.Dublin City and Dublin International Airport are just over two-hours drive, via the N7 and M50 motorways.For the sporting enthusiast, there is an outstanding variety of pursuits. One of the oldest recognized yacht clubs of the world,LoughDergYacht Club, in the village ofDromineer, 15 kilometers to the south by road, or 10 kilometers by water. The club has many activities, including sailing, fishing, and sailing school together with non-water based social activities.LoughDergis an excellent destination for the angler, with a comprehensive menu of coarse fish and trout.For the golfer, there are several local courses includingNenagh,PortumnaandRoscrea, to name a few. The world-renowned gold course atAdareManor is less than hours drive to the south of the property.For the country pursuits enthusiast, the county has two hunts, TheOrmond, and The North Tipperary. There are a few driven shoots, the main one being the island onIllaunmore.The fitted carpets and curtains and light fittings will remain in the property on closing and will become the property of the successful purchaser. The gardenstatuery,ornaments,machinery, furniture, rugs, andgoodsandchattleswithin the house and other buildings are excluded from the sale. The majority are understood to be available by separate negotiation.


Bellevue House and Estate, Tipperary, County Tipperary, Ireland
More Properties From This Agent
Other Results From Your Search
People who viewed this item also viewed
Scroll To Top