Poppa Building - Art Deco Harmony In The Center Of Constanta
Property featuresEmail AgentEmail Agent
- 9 bedrooms
- QC Approved Listing
Property descriptionThe building with apartments, commercial spaces and garages has a B+GF+3F+A structure and bears elements of the Art Deco style, specific to the inter-war period when the construction was made. The architectural influences of the new style, having its peak in the 1930s America, rapidly reached Constanța, thanks to the regular transatlantic line between the Black Sea port and New York. The building stands out through its symmetrical façade, marked by a harmonious empty and full alternation. The apartments keep original elements, characteristic of the era: mosaic and parquet floors made of solid wood, door and window trims, decorative ironwork, wooden shutters. The interior staircase has a special complexity, and the fittings that adorn the illuminator resume the decorative motifs at the entrance door.The ultracentral location, 350 m from the Modern Beach, the wide surface, the good state of preservation of the stylistic elements of the Art Deco style and the intelligent subdivision, with 9 apartments, with two at the attic that can be transformed into a spectacular penthouse, two commercial spaces on the ground floor and garage with 30 parking spots, create the premises for a successful investment, for rent or sale of the composing units.
In 1921 Gheorghe Poppa bought Periclia Inn located on the Stephen The Great street, former Mangalia. On its place, he built the present property, between 1936-1940. The block was built according to the German construction norms, a landmark at that time. Gheorghe Poppa, born in Săcele, Brașov county, was young when he left his birth area to work as a ship boy in Constanța. His sea career was striking, reaching the rank of commander in the British Merchant Marine, at Lloyd Branch Trieste. Between 1899-1902 he participated in the Boer Wars, an armed conflict in which the British Empire faced the boers (Dutch colonists from South Africa). After the First World War, he settled on land and served as commander of the Constanța Port for two years. During the 1920s he launched in trading and industry business. He owned brick factories, timber and handled grain exports. The wealth acquired in the maritime career and business allowed Gheorghe Poppa to invest in real estate, one of the developments being the Art Deco block that bears his name to this day, on 17 Stephen The Great street.
„Poppa building illustrates the successful life of its constructor and first owner, that seems out of a sailors tale; aware of what a self-made man is, Gheorghe Poppa respected his fellows, creating on the spot of old Periclia inn (bought in 1921) an imposing building, stable, representative, synchronised with the architectural style at peak in the inter-war period: Art Deco. Block Poppa, with the main facade towards the park, is a symbol of the economic power held by the city in the inter-war times, but also an architectural landmark of the area, situated in the immediate vicinity of the great boulevard initially named Carol I, today Tomis, that seems to have existed (in the intra muros area), since the glorious period of Roman antiquity, when Tomis was the capital of Imperial Province Scythia Minor.” Dr. Doina Păuleanu, director of Constanța Art Museum
Marian Moise, „Constanța veche – restituiri necesare”, Menora Publishing, Constanța, 2001
Viorel Ovidiu Lipovan, Gabriel Octavian Nicolae, „Constanța Remember 1895-1945”, Ovidius University Press Publishing, Constanța, 2010
17 Ștefan cel Mare street, Constanța, Constanta, Constanta, Romania
Bucharest , Bucharest , 010281
Fill out the form below to contact the agent for any further information you may need