CORNWALL
ANTONY HOUSE (NT)
Torpoint, Plymouth, Cornwall PL11 2QA
Tel: 01752 812191
A handsome, early eighteenth-century, silvery grey-stone country house with grounds landscaped by Humphrey Repton.

CAERHAYS CASTLE
Caerhays, Gorran, St Austell, Cornwall PL26 6LY
Tel: 01872 501310
Early nineteenth-century picturesque castle designed by John Nash.

COTEHELE (NT)
St Dominick, nr Saltash, Cornwall PL12 6TA
Tel: 01579 351346
Little-altered medieval moated manor house, built in granite and slatestone for the Edgecumbe family between 1485 and 1627, with a collection of original furniture, armour and tapestries.

GODOLPHIN COURT (NT)
Godolphin Cross, Helston, TR13 9RE
Tel: 01736 762479
Seventeenth-century house with fifteenth-century towers.

LANHYDROCK (NT)
Bodmin, Cornwall PL30 5AD
Tel: 01208 265950
Seventeenth-century house, rebuilt after a fire in 1881 for the 1st Lord Robartes.

PRIDEAUX PLACE
Padstow, Cornwall Pl28 8RP
Tel: 01841 532411
Sixteenth-century house remodelled in Georgian Gothic style in the early nineteenth century.

TRERICE (NT)
Kestle Mill, nr Newquay, Cornwall TR8 4PG
Tel: 01637 875404
A small, secluded Elizabethan manor house built in 1573 by Sir John Arundel, with unusual Dutch-style scroll gables, and the original Elizabethan plasterwork and glass.


DEVON

ARLINGTON COURT (NT)
Arlington, nr Barnstaple, Devon, EX31 4LP
Tel: 01271 850296
Neo-classical Regency country house, designed in 1822 by Thomas Lee for Colonel John Chichester, whose family had owned the estate since 1834.

CADHAY
Ottery St. Mary, Devon EX11 1QT
Tel: 01404 812432/01404 812962
Sixteenth-century manor house (incorporating 1470s work) restored in the early twentieth century.

CASTLE DRAGO (NT)
Drewsteignton, nr Exeter EX6 6PB
Tel: 01647 433306
An early twentieth-century granite-built castle overlooking Dartmoor, designed for the millionaire Julius Drewe by Sir Edwin Lutyens, with sumptuous, medieval-style interiors.

POWDERHAM CASTLE
Kenton, Exeter, Devon EX6 8JQ
Tel: 01626 890243
Built in 1390, with eighteenth-century additions.

SALTRAM (NT)
Plympton, Plymouth, Devon PL7 1UH
Tel: 01752 333500
Important eighteenth-century house with interiors by Robert Adam.

UGBROOKE HOUSE AND PARK
Chudleigh, Newton Abbot, Devon TQ13 0AD
Tell: 01626 852179
Originally a Tudor manor, built around an eleventh-century house, Ugbrooke was remodelled in the 1760s in Robert Adam’s castle style; and the grounds were landscaped by Capability Brown.

DORSET
ATHELHAMPTON HOUSE
Athelhampton, Dorchester, Dorset DT2 7LG
Tel: 01305 848363
Fifteenth- and sixteenth-century manor house, partly restored in the late nineteenth century when the gardens were also laid out.

CHETTLE HOUSE
Chettle, Blandford Forum, Dorset DT11 8DB
Tel: 01258 830858
A fine example of an English Baroque manor house, designed by Thomas Archer in 1710, with later renovations in 1846 and 1912.

KINGSTON LACY (NT)
Wimbourne Minster, Dorset BH21 4EA
Tel: 01202 883402
Seventeenth-century house remodelled in the early nineteenth century by Charles Barry.

LULWORTH CASTLE (EH)
East Lulworth, Wareham, Dorset BH20 5QS
Tel: 01929 400352
Built as a seventeenth-century hunting lodge, the castle was gutted by fire in 1929, but recently re-roofed by English Heritage.

MAPPERTON
Beaminster, Dorset DT8 3NR
Tel: 01308 862645
A sixteenth-century house, extended in the 1660s, with the interiors remodelled in the eighteenth century.

SHERBORNE CASTLE
Sherborne Castle, Cheap Street, Sherborne, Dorset DT9 3PY
Tel: 01935 813182
Elizabethan country house extended in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.

WOLFETON HOUSE
Dorchester, Dorset DT2 9PN
Tel: 01305 263500
Late fifteenth-century Tudor and Elizabethan courtyard house built in 1480 by Sir John Trenchard, Wolfeton was later remodelled, extended and embellished with plaster ceilings, fireplaces and panelling by Sir George Trenchard in c. 1580, reduced during the eighteenth century.


GLOUCESTERSHIRE
BERKELEY CASTLE
Gloucestershire GL13 9BQ
Tel: 01453 810332
Seat of the Berkeley family since the twelfth century, the castle was rebuilt in the fourteenth century, then restored in the 1920s.

CHASTLETON HOUSE (NT)
Chastleton, nr Moreton-in-Marsh, Gloucestershire GL56 0SU
Tel: 01608 674355
Early seventeenth-century manor house, built in Cotswold stone, with a Renaissance astronomical garden and ring of topiary.

CHAVENAGE HOUSE
Tetbury, Gloucestershire GL8 8XP
Tel: 01666 502329
A Cotswold-stone Elizabethan manor, with minor alterations in the early nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

DYRHAM PARK (NT)
Dyrham, nr Chippenham, Gloucestershire SN14 8ER
Tel: 0117 9372501
A Baroque country house, built c. 1691-1702 and designed by William Talman for William Blathwayt, Secretary at War during the reign of William III.

FRAMPTON COURT
Frampton-on-Severn, Gloucestershire GL2 7EU
Tel: 01452 740267
Built in 1731-33 in the manner of John Vanburgh, and attributed to James Strahan.

OWLPEN MANOR
Nr Uley, Gloucestershire GL11 5BZ
Tel: 01453 860261
Tudor manor house, built in 1450-1616, with Cotswold Arts and Crafts associations.

SNOWSHILL MANOR (NT)
Snowshill, nr Broadway, Gloucestershire WR12 7JU
Tel: 01386 852410
Handsome Cotswold manor house, restored in the early twentieth century, with unusual collections.

STANWAY HOUSE
Stanway, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire GL54 5PQ
Tel: 01386 584469/ 01386 584528
Romantic seventeenth-century Jacobean manor house, with monastic origins and a nineteenth-century water garden.



SOMERSET
BARRINGTON COURT (NT)
Barrington, nr Ilminster, Somerset TA19 0NQ
Tel: 01460 241938
A sixteenth-century manor house, the first house to be acquired by the National Trust; its gardens were laid out in the 1920s.

COTHAY MANOR
Greenham, Wellignton, Somerset TA21 0JR
Tel: 01823 672283
An important fourteenth-century manor house, with some early seventeenth-century and early twentieth-century additions.

DODDINGTON HALL
Nr Nether Stowey, Bridgwater, Somerset TA5 1LF
Tel: 01278 741400
Sixteenth-century manor house in semi-formal garden.

FORDE ABBEY
Chard, Somerset TA200 4LU
Tel: 01460 220231
Monastic remains remodelled in the seventeenth century.

MONTACUTE HOUSE (NT)
Montacute, Somerset TA15 6XP
Tel: 01935 823289
One of the finest late sixteenth-century Elizabethan houses, built for Sir Edward Phelips, with Renaissance plasterwork, chimneys and glass and the longest long gallery in England.

TYNTESFIELD (NT)
Wraxall, Bristol, North Somerset BS48 1NT
Tel: 08704 584500
Victorian country house, with a chapel designed by Arthur Blomfield.

WILTSHIRE
AVEBURY MANOR (NT)
Avebury, nr Marlborough, Wiltshire SN8 1RF
Tel: 01672 539250
Early sixteenth-century house, modelled from monastic remains, restored in the early twentieth century.

CORSHAM COURT
Corsham, Wiltshire SN13 0BZ
Tel: 01249 701610
Elizabethan house with alterations made to the park and house by Lancelot “Capability” Brown.

GREAT CHALFIELD MANOR (NT)
Nr Melksham, Wiltshire SN12 8NH
Tel: 01225 782239
Dating from 1480, the manor and gardens were restored at the beginning of the last century.

LACOCK ABBEY (NT)
Lacock, nr Chippenham, Wiltshire SN15 2LG
Tel: 01249 730459
The medieval abbey, founded in 1232, was converted into a country house c. 1540, retaining the original choristers, sacristy, chapter house and monastic rooms.

LONGLEAT (NT)
Warminster, Wiltshire BA12 7NW
Tel: 01985 844400
Seat of the Marquises of Bath, Longleat is an important Elizabethan mansion with nineteenth-century interiors.

LYDIARD HOUSE
Lydiard Tregoze, Swindon, Wiltshire SN5 9PA
Tel: 01793 770401
Country house, dating from the 1740s, with important mid-eighteenth-century decoration, now a museum.

OLD WARDOUR CASTLE (EH)
Nr Tisbury, Wiltshire SP3 6RR
Tel: 01747 870487
An unusual six-sided castle built in the late fourteenth century for John, the 5th Lord Lovel, Wardour was adapted in the sixteenth century, and surrounded by a landscaped park in the eighteenth century, but is now a ruin.

STOURHEAD (NT)
Stourton, Warminster, Wiltshire BA12 6QD
Tel: 01747 841152
A Palladian house of the 1720s, with an exceptional landscape garden of the 1740s-80s.

WILTON HOUSE
Wilton, Salisbury, Wiltshire SP2 0BJ
Tel: 01722 746720/ 01722 746729
Seat of the Earls of Pembroke, Wilton was built in 1543-56 on the site of a medieval Benedictine abbey; it was remodelled in the Palladian style in the 1630s.