This Grade II listed convent in the Cotswolds comes with associated land, and comprises a substantial period property comprising the Convent, residential accommodation plus extensive gardens, an orchard and grazing land. The buildings are built of Cotswold stone and contain many original and period features.
The house at the core of the main building dates back to the mid 17th century. A Franciscan Order acquired the property in 1860 and the building later became the convent of Poor Clares, and the building was subsequently extended and enlarged. The main building now consists of the chapel, the Convent block and the guest house and accommodation is arranged over three/four floors and includes various reception and meeting rooms together with offices, bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchens, a laundry and a former bakery.
* Subscribe to Country Life and save 40%
The Chapel has buttressed walls and three light-pointed arched windows and is situated at the southern end of the main building on the upper floors. It has two galleries, one overlooking the nave and the other overlooking the western transept. On the ground floor are a library and a large day room.
The Lodge House is attached but not linked to the main house and provides accommodation over three floors and offers two reception rooms, kitchen/breakfast room and four bedrooms.
Gardens surround the main buildings and outbuildings, and there is partially wooded grazing land beyond this – the land comes to around nine acres, with further grazing available as separate lots. The property could be put to a large range of uses, including residential use, subject to the necessary consents.
The Convent is located in the village of Woodchester, with Nailsworth just two miles, and Stroud three miles from the property. Cirencester is 14 miles distant.
The guide price is £2.25m. For further information please contact Knight Frank on 0207 861 5461 or visit www.knightfrank.co.uk.
* Follow us on Twitter