The historic Hafodunos Hall near Abergele in Wales ? destroyed by arsonists in October 2005 – is on the market for £800,000. An estimated £8 million pounds worth of damage was inflicted on the Grade 1 listed property near the village of Llangernyw and two young men were sent to prison. Now the building is all but a shell but plans are afoot to develop it into 30 luxury flats.
Hafodunos which was featured in Countrylife.co.uk?s ?Rescue a Ruin? series, was designed by architect Sir George Gilbert Scott between 1861 and 1866, on behalf of the Sandbach family and was once considered to be one of North Wales?s finest houses. Sir Gilbert Scott who also designed the Albert Memorial, was among the most important Gothic Revival architects and a strong proponent of the Gothic style in domestic architecture. Hafodunos was build in Venetian-inspired Gothic style and the building consisted predominantly of two storeys with an attic, built in soft red brick with diaper work and extensive stone dressings to windows and doors. Elaborate conservatories were added in 1883.
|Hafodunos Hall before the fire|
The house was vacant in the nineties; it became increasingly run down and many of its beautiful fireplaces and features stolen. A couple of years ago it was sold and the new owner invested time and money making the building water tight and curing dry rot and plans with the aim of converting it into luxury apartments or a hotel. But sadly when fire rampaged through the house last year, there was no insurance cover in place.
Although it is now an empty shell, Hafodunos?s important history and unleashed potential (plans for 30 luxury apartments have been drawn up) will no doubt attract property investors, speculators and owner occupiers. The property is being sold by St David’s Commercial, of Colwyn Bay.
|Hafodunos Hall today|
In addition to the hall itself, the price includes a keeper’s cottage, entrance lodge, four acres of walled gardens (listed as being of exceptional importance) and 45 acres of land.
For further information or to arrange a viewing please telephone 01492 534881 or visit