The glorious simplicity of classic Georgian design is perfectly expressed in the clean, uncluttered lines of Grade II*-listed Rolle House at East Tytherley, Hampshire, which, in the words of the familiar bread advertisement, appears to have had ‘nowt taken out’ since it was first built some 300 years ago. Originally gifted to the village of East Tytherley in 1718 for use as a charity school by Sarah Rolle, whose family owned the surrounding estate from 1654 until 1801, the building was converted to residential use in the 1930s and has had only three private owners since then.
The last, and most distinguished of these, was the late James Lawrence Monro, who died on August 29 last year, aged 73, hence the sale of his much-loved family home through Strutt & Parker (01962 869999) at a guide price of £3m. According to his Daily Telegraph obituary, Dr Monro was ‘among the finest heart surgeons of his generation’, who joined Sir Keith Ross at Southampton Hospital as a consultant cardiac surgeon in 1973 and, over the next 30 years, played a pivotal role in developing the city’s cardiac unit into a world centre of excellence.
He and his wife were also married in 1973 and Rolle House was where they brought up their three children, in the company of dogs, horses, chickens, ducks and a flock of Jacob sheep. It sits in a wonderfully peaceful location on the edge of East Tytherley village, surrounded by its own 27 acres of land. Clearly a happy house, although possibly in need of some updating, Rolle House has three main reception rooms, a conservatory, 6/7 bedrooms and three bathrooms, plus a traditional barn, stabling and outbuildings.
* Follow Country Life magazine on Twitter